About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram

Friday, 24 January 2014

Dorothy, we ain't in Kansas anymore

To be more accurate, actually I am not in Redhill anymore. I'm on (I think) the first floor (C) of Royal Surrey Hospital in Guildford. 

Earlier today things took a turn for the worse. Not physically for me but in the interpretation of all the results of all the tests I have been having recently. 

Things appear to have been getting aggressive in my stomach and treating me was beyond the scope of the consultants and teams in East Surrey. 

The consultant rang and spoke to Dr Cummins (my oncologist) and he agreed that I needed to be treated, we were not and are not going to let this beat us this early on in the year. 

So, it was decided that the best place for me to be was Royal Surrey. They have the consultants, the experience, the oncology department and can treat me far more effectively here. The plan was for me to stay in East Surrey over the weeknd and move to Royal Surrey when a bed became available probably Monday. 

This all took place just before lunch this morning. Which incidentally I didn't get to eat as I am back on free fluids/clear fluids. Which basically means soups with no lumps, jelly, ice cream, mouse etc etc.

I spoke to Tony and he would come to the hospital as soon as he finished work. 

At about 3:15 the registrar came to take some blood from my PICC line and then the nurse came in with the news that there was a bed at Royal Surrey now. 

So, that was that. Luckily Tony arrived before I got whisked off and I got to update him on all the information I had been given in the last few hours. We quickly called my mum on the bedside phone to give her a quick update, skyped Isaac who had spent the day with grandma as he was sick this morning and had a cough (?) and then the ambulance crew arrived and I was being wheeled through the hospital and loaded up.

It turns out that out of all the ambulance crews available I get two gents. One of whom went to school with my husband and one of whom is a scout leader in Crawley, I mean what are the chances of that happening?

We left East Surrey at 16:23, we arrived at Royal Surrey about 30 minutes later. I have officially now been bluelighted through Reigate and around the M25.

At present I am waiting for pain relief because they can't use my drugs chart from East Surrey, but am clear that solving this problem is going to involve some fairly hefty medical procedures, maybe as an emergency if something happens over the weekend, but more than likely next week as long as I can get through the weekend with no WIFI now ;(