About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Wednesday 27 July 2011

What a week - THE BOMBSHELL - Part 3 - Sunday

Saturday night was just as eventful as Friday night. 


New people arrived - the windy geriatric being one. More on her later.


Hospitals definitely have a routine and this morning was no different to Saturday morning, 'Obs', 'Meds' then breakfast.

Lovely to be able to have a cup of tea, and some branflakes and then bread and butter. I wonder why hospitals don't do toast?


I thought that I would be spending the morning, reading, tweeting and waiting and was not far wrong. 


My bed was next to a window looking over the nurses station and about 12.20 the phone rang and the staff nurse, who I think was a bank nurse, came into see me. 


Good news, finally my CT scan was happening. Someone would be along to take me down about 1pm. I asked what would happen about my lunch. I had really been looking forward to a hot meal. I was told that it would be kept for me. 


So the porter came, and having learnt from the length of time it took on Saturday I took my book and phone to keep entertained. The staff nurse came with me as well having finally remembered that she needed to give me a new canula as I had managed to pull the other one out the night before.


A CT scan is an interesting experience and I shall share it with you.


The machine itself looks like a donut and you lie on a bench which moves up and down and in and out of the machine. In order to enable it to get the best images you need to have a dye injected into your blood stream. So I was hooked up to the dye and the machine started. A robotic voice told me to take a deep breath and then breath normally and I moved in and out of the machine and followed the instructions. The technicians voice then came over the speaker that the dye would be injected. That was the weirdest sensation. She had warned me that it might feel warm and I would get a metallic taste in my mouth and that was what happened. 


Then it was done and it was back to the ward. The staff nurse apologised that had missed my lunch and asked what I would like. I had order cheese sandwiches for tea as that was the only option. I asked if it was possible to get some soup or maybe a ham sandwich. No that wasn't possible the only option was.......


A DRY CHEESE SANDWICH. That was it, no biscuits, no fruit nothing else. 


I got very annoyed and blogged something at that point, that never got published due to very poor mobile internet connection.


I was annoyed as earlier on in the day the windy geriatric (when I say windy I mean belching and passing wind and never once excusing herself) had had yet another rant at the nursing staff as she 'was unable to eat' and they had offered her jelly, ice cream, soup and finally nutritional shakes. Here was I, who had not eaten a proper meal since Wednesday evening and all I was being offered was cheese sandwichs. Good job I wasn't lactose intolerant!!


The kids and Tony came back in that afternoon and it was a lot more fun than when they had been in the day before. Isaac loved climbing on my bed and playing with it to make it move up and down and also playing with the head and foot movement. 


The time came for Tony and the kids to go home and I decided that I had had enough of cheese sandwiches, but ate the pudding, I can't really remember what it was but know that it was better than DRY CHEESE SANDWICHES.



No comments:

Post a Comment