About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram

Friday, 29 July 2011

What a week - THE BOMBSHELL - Part 4 - Monday 11th July & Tuesday 12th July

As this is now so far behind I have to put some dates on this so that you know when I am writing about.

Monday started the same as every other morning in hospital, ie someone trying to take my blood pressure at about 6am. I think I may have told them to 'leave me alone as it was obvious I wasn't dead'.

We were still no closer to figuring out what was wrong and eventually the entourage came about and told me what was happening.

There was an area of inflammation on my bowel in and in order to find out what it was they wanted to do a colonoscopy and get some samples for a biopsy.

I thought that meant I would get a bit of a break then until a porter showed up for me. It appeared that after all the fighting that had happened over the weekend I was going for another CT scan, this time of my chest. 

This was good news for me but there was a woman on the ward who had been bleating since her admission on Saturday about going for a CT scan of her lungs. The look she shot me was unbelievable!!

Once I got back I finally got a hot meal. I can honestly say that the Shepherds Pie had never tasted so good, even if it was only luke warm and a little bit 'crusty'

Tony and the kids came in later on again and we had lots of fun playing on the bed and colouring in. At one point I overheard one of the women complaining about Isaac's thumb sucking, and wondered whether she would have the guts to say anything to me about it. 

More sandwiches for tea and then more visitors. 

I then decided to have a look at the booklet and information about the colonoscopy that one of the staff nurses had given me earlier on. I started to worry at this point. Specifically about the sedation that they use to do the prodecure. They use a type of anaesthetic called concious sedation. I had had this before when I had a wisdom tooth removed and did not like it at all. The only way I can describe it is like loosing parts of your memory. Crucially 'parts' of your memory. You can remember some things then you have a gap and that was what I didn't like. 

And so to sleep.

Tuesday was pretty boring. You can only have clear fluids before a colonoscopy. However it is not nil by mouth. You can have black tea and coffee (bonus, I only drink black tea and coffee), clear soup - I think this means that they take the normal soup and sieve all the bits out because it definitely tasted of something, and best of all JELLY!! Thanks to all my Facebook and twitter friends I also had a lot of forbidden suggestions as well - Gin, Vodka etc.
You also have to 'clear out' the less said about that the better, after all this is a public blog and things cannot be deleted from the internet!!

I had my visit again and this time actually left the ward to walk Tony and the kids back to the exit. When I got back to the ward the 'windy geriatric' asked to have a word with me. She accused me of being a negligent mother for allowing Isaac to suck his thumb and Imogen to suck her fingers. According to her it was unhygenic, not nice to be done in public. When I politely told her it was none of her business she told me that it was her business when I was 'neglecting' my children's health. I reiterated that it was none of her business and she kept shouting that it was. Eventually one of the health care assistants had to come and tell her to calm down and leave me alone.

That definitely made me more determined that I was going home tomorrow whatever the outcome of the colonoscopy. 

They say lots of things about KARMA and I like to think that was what happened about 9pm when the 'windy geriatric' was moved from the ward to the 'discharge lounge' because she was able to go home. 

I didn't get much sleep on Tuesday night - partly due to nerves about the colonoscopy and for other reasons that are best not discussed here.