About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Saturday 15 October 2011

After the flushing

Wow, what a difference a week makes.


This time last week I was suffering the side effects of the chemo, confused about the mis commuication between NHS professionals & generally feeling a bit down.


I picked up my prescription on Wednesday and cannot commend enough the staff in Boots in Maidenbower. The lady I dealt with there was amazing and really showed excellent customer service which makes a massive difference when you are going through what I am going through.


So to Thursday & 'the flushing', @craftyguider commented that it sounded like something the bullies would do at school.  Having been through it I can definitely  say it is not something that you would want to have done on a regular basis but I have definitely had worse medical procedures over the last 3 months!!!!


I was a bit worried because I had to take the kids to the appointment. I needn't have been. Liz, the IV nurse, was brilliant. 


She had to start off by taking my blood pressure, O2 SAT's & temperature and offered to let Isaac or Imogen put the O2 'thing' (technical term there :)) on my finger. They didn't want to, but it helps make the procedures less scary and medical. 


The actual flushing & change of dressing is a bit of a time consuming process. Everything has to be cleaned and sterilised multiple times. In order to flush the line through a little bit of blood has to be drawn into the line. Liz checked that this wasn't going to phase the kids and they were fine. They both had a look at where 'mummys wiggley' (its new name) goes into mummys arm and Isaac proudly declared 'Mummys special medicine goes in there so she doesn't have to go to hospital again'. 


The dressing was then replaced and appointments set for the next few weeks, including the district nurse coming out on 25th October to take Blood for the next chemo from my PICC line rather than having to have a needling. Then in future weeks Liz will come and do it rather than me going to have to go and sit in the hospital for ages.


Things are finally starting to come together. The pain in my neck and shoulder is lessening & Liz also reassured me that this is normal and I should only start to worry if when the line is flushed I hear a rushing in my ears.


So I have 3 1/2 more days of tablets to take and then a 'rest' week

No comments:

Post a Comment