About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram

Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Ding, Ding, Ding, ROUND 2

Wow, if you have a problem complain.

Although today was chemo day it was so much nicer than last time.

It was a long day. Left the house just after 7am, train at 7.25, change at Gatwick, train to Guildford, walk to Bus Station, Bus to hospital (£1.60 what a RIp Off), get lost in hospital due to really erratic signposting.

Let the receptionist know I was here, then wait and wait and wait.

I was called in about 20 minutes late and then I let rip.

I told the consultant all about the fiasco I had suffered the previous time. He looked shocked, he said that he had never heard of this kind of failure in the system and then he arranged for me to talk to one of the chemo nurses to explain what had happened too.

After getting everything off my chest, he checked all my blood results and how I had coped with the previous treatment. He explained that the some of the side effects would be cumulative so they would get progressively worse. Yay what fun, I can hardly wait, and I can already notice it. As I sit here typing my fingers are all tingley and I feel quite nauseous although I can't take the next anti sickness until bed time. 

I then spoke to the chemo nurse and went through it all again. You know the fiasco so I don't need to go through it all again for you here. 

 By now it was 11.30 and I was supposed to go for treatment at 12noon, but I was starving & did not want go have hospital food. The chemo nurse had told me that the treatment would not be delivered until 1pm at the earliest so I had some leeway.

I went to try and find the restaurant. I had a quick look and could not see any card machines. So I checked. What a joke - The hospital restaurant only takes cash. What happens if you have been admitted to A&E and don't have any cash. I was shocked, how in the 21st century can a major hospital restaurant not take plastic.

Then I remembered. When I had come into the hospital earlier I had seen a Costa, surely they would take cards and have sandwiches. Thank You Costa Coffee. They took cards, but not loyalty cards. 

I had a sandwich and coffee and headed back up to the Chilworth Day Unit just after midday and didn't have to wait very long until I was called through and told to find a seat. The nurse came and explained that they would flush the line, change the dressing and then once the treatment was delivered it would take about 2.30 hours to go through and be flushed again. 

So I was hooked up, took out the paper and educated myself about current affairs, taxed my brain with the suduko & crosswords, plugged into my ipod I can honestly say that it wasn't too bad. The Zutons kept playing, although I was on shuffle and I was transported back to 2004 and Glastonbury in the New Bands Tent and the mud and I felt happy. 

About 2.30 Tony & the children arrived. I wasn't sure about this as they might not have been too confident. But I am so glad they came up. The smiles on fellow patients faces were incredible. To know that my children could do that was fab & I hope I cheered up some peoples otherwise rubbish days.

So now I am home and the eyes have stopped twitching, but the tingling is bad. Wearing Gloves however makes operating a mouse, iPod touch and wiping bottoms inconvenient so I have to grin & bear it.