About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Monday 19 August 2013

Today's dramas!!

So, at 5:10 this morning my beautiful little girl decided that it was time to get up for the day. This is alongside me running backwards and forwards to the toilet all night.

I fed her, she was definitely not going back to sleep so we watched some Airline USA, there is really nothing on other than news at that time in the morning!!

About 5:45 I went and put the kettle on in preparation for my final drink of citramag. 

By 6:45 it was ready to drink and I sat back and thought positive thoughts and it stayed down. I chased it with some water and sat back and waited. 

By 9am, we were all ready to leave, big two breakfasted, laundry hanging on the line, multiple toilet stops completed, you get the drift!!

We dropped the big two at grandmas house and headed to the hospital. 

Little one decided tactics at this point were to scream her way to the endoscopy department as suddenly she was starving.

I booked in, fed Hope and started waiting. The nurse called me in about 10:45 and went through all my details. He also tried to insert a cannula.

I asked him if I could wait in the waiting room and have about 10 minutes notice before my procedure so I could feed Hope again. 

Back in the waiting room, we watched some more BBC daytime TV and waited. About 11:40 I got my 10 minute warning so attempted to feed Hope and waited.

And waited, 40 minutes later I still hadn't gone in so fed her again and checked with the receptionist what the situation was. Then my nurse left, clutching a bag of carrot sticks!!

A different nurse then came out and seemed slightly confused about where I was and despite me being pointed out twice by the receptionist still seemed slightly confused. 

The next bit is slightly surreal, I had not been sedated, but felt fairly sure this new nurse was one sandwich short of a picnic. As we walked up to the treatment room he kept staring at me, finally I asked him why. 

'I have never seen a women as tall as you'  he said. I mean WTF, talk about random!!

I won't fill you in on the details of the procedure, mostly as i can't remember, but unfortunately it was not very successful. 

It appears I had double the amount of sedation and was sucking on the gas and air like it was going out of fashion. But due to my surgery I have a very twisty colon which means that I cannot tolerate the procedure like normal people and am now going to have to go through the preparation all again to have the procedure under a general anaesthetic.

So, having finally got a bit of sleep this afternoon, I am facing another weekend in the not to distant future cleansing my colon and another 4-5 hours waiting and waiting.

Really bowel cancer and its subsequent complications never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment