About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Chemotherapy - a lesson in timings

So, we turned up a the hospital prepared for a wait this time. The appointment was at 2pm and we were seen fairly promptly.


It started with me being weighed and measured. I know a women shouldn't talk about her weight, but I have always been slightly overweight, although with my height I have never looked it. The last time I weighed myself was on the Wii Fit, so not neccessarily as accurate but I was between 95 and 100kg. Yesterday I weighed 85kg, coupled with my height I am now officially (according to the BMI charts) 'Healthy'


When we went in to see the oncologist he made some small talk about how I was feeling, how I was recovering and did I have any other health problems. At this point we did have too mention the low blood pressure and whether it was since the operation or not. Too be honest I don't really know. I went too the GP about it the Wednesday before all this started. It had been going on for about 6 weeks before that and coupled with the anaemia, who really knows what was going on!!!!


Then we talked some more about the tumour. The oncologist categorise them as 'A', 'B' or 'C'. 'A' tumours are very localised and don't benefit from Chemo, 'C' tumours have spread and definitely require further treatment & 'B' tumours, which is were I fall in, are difficult to treat. 


It depends on the features of the tumour. Because my tumour had spread through the bowel wall (T4) chemo would be recommended. Chemo however is not a wonder treatment. It is only going to give me a 5% EXTRA chance of not getting cancer again based on someone who had the same type of cancer and didn't have chemo.


So onto the chemo itself, which is not going to start for a while yet.


I am going to have a combination of an intravenous drug called Oaliplatin, which will be administered once every three weeks at St Lukes Cancer Centre in Guildford and a 14 day course of Capecitabine tablets with a one week 'rest period' before the whole thing starts again. I will have 8 courses of this which is going to take 6 months.


However before all this can start I am going to have 'ovarian preservation'


I know I am very lucky that I have 2 beautiful children and should not expect more. But what woman could say that she would not be devastated at the thought that she might not be able to have any more children & that the choice was taken away from her through no fault of her own. So, yes, I am doing everything I can to allow me the opportunity to have more children in the future. If you think that that makes me selfish, then that is your choice, but unless you have been in my situation you cannot make any judgements.


So thats it, 8 lots of a 3 week chemo cycle, which will last the best part of 6 months, will leave me feeling rubbish and wanting and needing support from everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment