About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Wednesday 3 August 2011

An upto date update

So this is actually about what happened today rather than me writing in the past.


The appointment was at 4.20, and at 5pm we were still waiting. Typical NHS really, although the car park ticket did run out at 5pm, but we figured that if we went back to the car we would miss our appointment so we didn't.


So we went in eventually and the consultant was there along with the cancer support nurse and a general outpatient nurse.


I told him about the fainting and showed the quite impressive bruise on my arm. then we talked about the serious stuff.


Now, we had prepared for it being cancer after the consultant had talked to me in recovery. Although we hadn't told many people it was cancerous we were prepared. I was more worried that it had spread and gone into the lymph nodes and I knew that they had removed some of those too.


But it hadn't, yes the tumor was cancer, but it hadn't spread to any of the lymph nodes at all. 


I think we were relieved. In fact I had been so prepared for worse news that I almost felt light headed. 


For all the technical/medical people out there it was a T4, N0 tumor. 
T4 means it had spread all the way through my bowel wall, but N0 means that no lymph nodes are involved.


After that I had a chat about my pain relief saga in surgical stepdown and how I kept having nightmares about it and the consultant is going to contact people so that I can have some 'closure'.

Then he had a look at my wound and was most impressed & told me I could have started showering after 2 days and didn't need to have waited all this time either!!



Then the way forward.....


Because I am so young ( I love that bit) I needed to have chemo to ensure that it doesn't reoccur and to get any tiny bits that they might have missed.
Also, I think my brother and sisters are going to hate me, they need to have colonoscopy's to check that they are not going to suffer too. Sorry about that Jo, Phil & Sharon.
& when they get older the kids will need to be checked too. They might even do some form of genetic testing too.


So its all over, well not over. I shall definitely be back on here to update you with the progress and the past once I know what happened in surgical stepdown. But I know where I am going.....






BEAUTIFUL DAYS FESTIVAL, ESCOT PARK DEVON,  19TH TO 21ST AUGUST 2011




for drinking, sleeping, camping and lots of lovely live folky, hippy music.


Please leave comments if you want but I am so appreciative of all the support that you virtual, tweeters, FB ers etc have given me that I cannot express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment