About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Bucket lists

We all have them, things we'd love to do before we die. The thing with cancer is it kind of creeps up on you unawares and doesn't give you a nice handy expiry date. So you start thinking of things you've never had a chance to do and things you'd love to do. 

Then you realise, there are loads of things you'd like to do. So how do you narrow it down and make it manageable. 

I've done this. There are 8 things on my personal bucket list. Things that I want to do for me, either on my own or with Tony or someone else. There is also my family list. Things I want the children to experience and I want to do it too, to see the looks on their faces when they experience the magic.

So here is my bucket list. When I was writing it I tried to think realistically of things I would be able to do and, crucially afford to do.

1. Go to Aberdeen. Strange to some, but I have been to Inverness, Fort William, Glasgow & Edinburgh and have heard that Aberdeen is beautiful & so I want to go.

2. Climb Scafell Pike. Since we moved south we have done very little fell walking, but I still love being outdoors with just a map, compass and a backpack. Having climbed Ben Nevis & Snowdon, there is only the highest peak in England to tick off and I will.

3. Go to Camden. Again, strange to some. You would imagine that I have been to Camden, shopped the markets and hung out in the cafés. Nothing could be further from the truth. The closest I gave got to Camden is getting the tube there with my rainbows for LASER's 25th rainbow birthday celebration at London Zoo. Alongside visiting Camden I want to go to a gig at the Roundhouse. This might therefore entail 2 trips ;)


4. Go back to Amsterdam. Tony surprised me with a trip to Amsterdam for my 20th birthday. I was definitely to young and naive to enjoy it. Now I would happily wander aimlessly around the city. That's what I want to do.

5. Go to Italy. I love reading ancient roman fiction - Conn Iggulden etc. I would love to go to Italy and see some of the sites I have read about and become immersed in. Pompeii, Rome, Vesuvius. I don't know where or what yet. But one day.

6. Take Jo to Paris. Paris was the first foreign city I ever visited at 14. Our school was twinned with a school in Paris. I adore the city. The architecture, the history, the dichotomy. Jo has been all over the place, but has never been to Paris. I have always promised that we would go together. Now we have to.

These last 2 are fairly obscure and might not mean much to some people so let me explain. Girlguiding UK has been a massive part of my life since I was 7 years old. I have met some amazing people and have had some incredible experiences with both guiding & through Tonys activity in the scout movement. My connection to guiding is so strong that as Imogen was born during the centenary of guiding, one of her middle names is Olave, who was Lord Robert Baden Powels wife, & the first chief guide. 

There are 4 world centres of guiding. Pax Lodge, in London, Our Chalet, in Switzerland, Sangam in India and Our Cabana in Mexico. I have been to Pax Lodge & Our Chalet. So numbers 7 & 8

7. Visit Sangam
8. Visit Our Cabana.

There it is, written down in (purple) black & white. My bucket list. 8 things to accomplish for me. Over the coming months and years I shall update you on my progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment