About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram

Thursday, 14 November 2013

The complaint

So I have done it. 

This morning I re read the email I typed on Monday regarding my treatment on Friday night and bit the bullet and pressed send.

I was a bit apprehensive. I had felt really positive about complaining when I was in hospital following the visit from both the sister from SAU and the surgical matron. But I wanted to make sure that the email had the correct tone. 

I re read it several times and felt that it conveyed the right amount of objectiveness and emotion. I hoped I had set the facts out clearly and concisely, I have been known to waffle!! 

I had tried to keep emotion out of it. I have dealt with enough complaints in my time to know that emotion does not help you when complaining, facts do.

So, I took a deep breath and pressed send.

Nothing happened, I wasn't struck down by fire & brimstone! I was able to go about my normal daily activities.

At lunch time I got a phone call from PALS at East Surrey confirming receipt of the email and to let me know there were two ways that my complaint could be handled. 

It boils down to whether I wanted a response in writing or not. 

I had already decided I wanted to make it a formal complaint, whatever that entailed. 

It turns out that that makes at a complaints matter rather than a PALS matter. The reason I want a response in writing is because, although the NHS say both are treated and investigated the same, I think there is a greater level of accountability with a written response.

So now it is in th system, and is being investigated. I will keep you posted on the outcome.