About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Thursday 7 November 2013

The pressure on the NHS

I want to reiterate something before I write this. My blog is not about individuals in the NHS, it is about the massive pressure the system is under to deliver top quality health care with an ever decreasing budget. Today I experienced some of these pressures first hand.

Firstly, there are things about the system that are excellent. After some delays I arrived at St Luke's more than an hour before my appointment time. This is mostly so I could find somewhere to park but also because I hate being late and cannot rely on the M23, M25 and A3 to provide a delay free route to Guildford at 8am. If this was anywhere else you would be seen at your allotted appointment time. At St Luke's the notes of patients who have arrived are being constantly collected so you are seen when you arrive, meaning if you are held up you are not chastised for missing your appointment but seen in turn, and if you arrive early you are called for your appointment while you are on the loo!!

After the normal discussions with the clinician about the management of side effects and the effectiveness of the oromorph for the pain, I was told that everything looked fine and I'd be able to have chemo later on. 

A quick time check and it looked like it was nearly time for Hope to have a feed so settling down for the 4 hour wait, we found a secluded corner, I purchased a cup of tea and we got on with waiting it out. 

After lunch in Costa, during which Hope helped herself to her first piece of orange, I was getting increasingly bored and Hope was getting increasingly tried, I popped her back in the pushchair and tired to go the long way round back to the chemo day unit. There is a little waiting area outside and I figured although there was just over an hour to go before my appointment I could wait there until my time. 

Hope promptly fell asleep in the pushchair and I as I was walking through to the waiting area, one of the lovely chemo nurses spotted me and asked where I was going. Oh no, she said don't bother, your room is free, come and wait there. See above and beyond again. 

This meant that I got a lovely hour of uninterrupted sleep before chemo was supposed to start. 

Around 2:15 the nurse came and told me that my chemo hadn't come up on the 2pm box (my appointment was at 2pm) but it would be on the 3pm so she would make a start on changing my PICC dressing and flushing the line, so that when it & my notes arrived we were cooking on gas and ready to go. 

3pm came and went, the flush had finished and the machine was beeping at me, but couldn't be disconnected as the chemo had not arrived. Another nurse came in and switched the bleeping off and went to find out what was happening. 25 minutes later another nurse came in and asked if I had had any blood taken when my PICC was flushed. 

Yes I had, why?
Because I needed to come back in tomorrow for a blood transfusion of 2 units as my HB was low.
Not possible, I cannot possibly arrange that kind of childcare with less than 24 hours notice, but I could do it on Friday. Would that be in Crawley? 
No, Guildford as there might be additional complications due to chemo that Crawley cannot handle.

So now, I know I have low HB again, but no chemo and another blood transfusion looming.

Finally, at 3.45, the 3pm box of chemo arrived and there were my beautiful freshly made pouches of irinotecan and folinic acid. 

This is where the problems in the system lie. The reason I have to go to Guildford for chemo is everything is made fresh for you. So the 'chemists who make chemo' (there is probably a better, more technical term for them than that, but I don't know what it is and quite frankly can't be arsed to google it. You do it, if you want to know) have to make in 4 hours my chemo, chemo for everyone else on the ward that day, probably in excess of 70-100 people. Plus all the 2 day chemo patients chemo and all the inpatient chemo's. 

The poor nurses, and you don't have a nurse each, have to clean and redress PICC lines, portacaths and Hickman lines, make sure lines are being flushed between drugs where appropriate and not when necessary, dole out anti sickness drugs ( I take 5 tablets before my Chemo), carry out the injections of other side effect management drugs ( I get an injection that is supposed to help with he loose bowels!!) and monitor all the patients to check they are all tolerating their chemotherapy. 

There are 10-15 people in a room at any one time, 5 rooms, and 2/3 staff nurses per room and probably 2/3 HCA's.

Quite frankly they do an amazing job under an immense amount of pressure and uncertainty. The fault lies in there not being enough of them and enough of the people in the background because there isn't enough money in the system.

Think about that the next time you hear people talking about cuts in healthcare budgets.


No comments:

Post a Comment