About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Wednesday 13 November 2013

More about support

It's almost a month since my new cancer journey started. I have been thinking a lot about that timeline today and I need to put it down to demonstrate just how amazing the NHS is.

October 15th 2013 - Secondary Bowel Cancer (Peritoneal disease & Liver Mets) diagnosed
October 16th 2013 - St Luke's called to arrange my first three appointments
October 17th 2013 - 4 units of Blood Transfused in Comet Ward at Crawley Hospital
October 21st 2013 - Initial nurse led chemotherapy information appointment at St Luke's
October 23rd 2013 -PICC line in (St Luke's)
October 24th 2013 - first chemo & last breastfeed (St Luke's)
October 26th 2013 - 5FU Pump disconnected (Cardiff!!)
October 30th 2013 - first PICC line flush and redress (Crawley)
November 4th 2013 - Family flu jabs (GP)
November 5th 2013 - Pre Chemo bloods (GP)
November 6th 2013 - Chemo round 2 (St Luke's)
November 7th - November 10th 2013 - Emergency Admission with acute pain (East Surrey), including 2nd 5FU pump disconnection, and 2 unit blood transfusion.
November 11th 2013 - Imogen gets UTI (GP)
November 13th 2013 - Counselling for the children at St Catherine's Hospice, Crawley & PICC line flush & redress (Crawley).

Still to come before my next chemo appointment

November 14th 2013 - Isaac's first play date ;)
November 15th 2013 - Tony comes back from Liverpool!!
November 18th 2013 - washing machine to be repaired!!
November 19th 2013 - pre chemo bloods (GP)
November 20th 2013 - chemo number 3 THE HALF WAY POINT.

We would not have got this far without everyone who has offered their services to us. Whether it has been doing a load of washing, hosting a Halloween party and feeding the children, cooking meals for our freezer, coming round to make me do something creative, providing all the generous and unexpected items for our boxes and bags of love, picking up the children, dropping off the children and just being there and helping me feel like a normal member of society. 

You know what you have done, if we have not taken you up on your offer, do not be offended. Unfortunately cancer is not a sprint, it's not even a normal marathon, I am facing marathon upon marathon upon marathon. Several things have happened this week to remind me that this is not a project with a definite end date. This is an unknown quantity that is going to be hanging around for years and years. 

We are so grateful for all the support and help we cannot say thank you enough, but if I don't get back to you straight away or I ignore you for a couple of days, it's nothing personal, sometimes I just need space to process things alone. Keep pestering me and I will respond it just might take me a while. This has hit like a tonne of bricks, and I have not really had the time to just sit so please indulge me if & when I do.

But incase you didn't get it yet.....THANK YOU FROM ALL OF US

No comments:

Post a Comment